October 12, 2012 – January 27, 2013
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
Big Opening Night Party
Oct 12 8:00pm – 11:00pm
See more about the show at Nayland’s FREE!LOVE!TOOL!BOX! tumblr.
This is what he wrote last week:
It’s a little over two weeks until we open phase one. In some ways this show is different from every other show I’ve had, and yet in other ways it feels like a kind of culmination of my thinking over the past five years or so. Here’s some of what I’m hoping:
- That people will see enough in phase one that they will come back to see the transformation in phase two.
- That people will make use of the video both and the dj set up to literally play within the ideas in the show.
- That the arrangement of things and events will help people to have some deeper conversations.
- That people will be able to see the connections between the things I make and the things I’ve found.
- That folks will dress up for the events and be willing to get wild.
- The best shows, like the best bars, become places to mutual recognition and encouragement to freedom. This show is about me trying to inflect a space in a way that brings out its best aspects
Also there will be lots of different special events during the time it is up, such as:
SHOW AND TELL: Gayle Rubin Lecture — “Yerba Buena, the Tool Box, and the Politics of Urban Space”
Nov 18, 2012 2:00pm – 4:00pm
I won’t make it to the opening but I will be out there after Thanksgiving when Nayland come’s out to set up Phase Two and I will help him. I’ll write another post when I know more about that trip.